Welcome to Gramma's Quilting Room.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

My Scrap Problem Progress


At the beginning of March, I found this blog post by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.
She had me raising my hand up high!
Yes, I have a scrap problem.
So I focused this month on strings.
My crammed full, can't put another piece of fabric into it, sting bin.


I started out making 3" blocks,
using phone book pages and scrap papers as my foundation.
I am a tear the paper off the back as soon as they are trimmed up girl.
For me, it's easier to do it small bits rather than in one huge paper tearing session.


This is the results of my month of little blocks.
(Not a good angle to see how high the blocks piles really are!)
I do have a plan for these and when Bonnie Hunter's new book comes out,
(She shared the picture on Facebook and for the life of me I can't find it again.
But it is in my head.)
I'll have a good head start on that quilt.
For now, these will just wait for that time.
There is a good stack of twosies on the right waiting to be pressed.
And the 4 stacks are waiting their turn to be leaders/enders.
When these are made into foursies,
I will be done making 3" string blocks for a while.



After the first week of sewing on 3" string blocks every day,
The batting scrap box came out and I started making 9" quilt as you go blocks.
That helped in reducing the strings.
50 blocks were made.
(I only needed 48 but 2 blocks had cutting booboos and will become a pillow.)

Yesterday I started sewing the blocks into a quilt.
I have all the joining strips cut to size and I'm ready to get this quilt finished.
But this week we have sunshine, 
so sewing time is limited to early in the day.


I tried to get a picture of how much scraps I used.
Miss Shirley loves attention and insisted on being in the bin.
She wins!
I win!
Not only is my string collection reduced,
I used up quite a bit of not my fabric fabrics for the backings
and my box of small batting scraps is greatly reduced.

Thank you so much Sarah for confessing you problem and 
encouraging me to confess mine and do something about it.
I'm going to finish my blocks and finish my quilt.

Today Sarah shares how she did and
 is having a link up party for others working on the scrap problem. 



7 comments:

Julie said...

I am impressed at your scrap problem progress. I didn't get in on the progress this month, but I think my string collection is bigger than yours! LOL I have even pulled a LOT out and cut them into 1" strips for my boss to make locker hooked rugs! I love your string blocks. Check out my blog, I made two blocks! LOL They are 10" finished though!

Ramona said...

You've had great success, Judy! You go Girl! Reading all of the blogs of those participating in this scrap challenge is inspiring. Maybe soon....

Lace Faerie said...

Hi Judy! I followed your link at Confessions of a Scrap Addict. Your blocks look great!
I am the second link. I, too, am working with scrappy strings. I made 160 6-1/2" unfinished blocks, enough to make a 5' x 8' quilt for my HH when he stretches out in his recliner. Aren't string block addictive!?!

Mary said...

Good for you, Judy! I am so glad you are using up your strings. It's going to be a pretty quilt with the black sashing

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your scrap usage. I've never tried doing QAYG. How do you like the process?

Melissa said...

I love seeing the blocks growing :) but that scrap problem.... I don't think I EVER make headway.

Sarah Craig said...

Way to go, Judy! Your quilt is going to be wonderful! Thanks for linking up for the I May Have a Scrap Problem show-and-tell!